Conference in a nutshell
Here’s a quick rundown of things that I learned, old and new, during the LDS General Conference this past weekend:
- Pray! Always!
- Sing hymns, and listen to prelude music.
- Make a commitment now not to sin later.
- Speak kind words to each other (and to yourself). And don’t call kids fat, even jokingly.
- Immerse yourself in the gospel to become born again, just like a cucumber turns into a pickle.
- Christ is divine, and death merely a doorway.
- The tabernacle is great!
- Brigham Young and Gordon B.Hinckley are great!
- Historic things happened at the tabernacle.
- Have an attitude of gratitude.
- Remembrance in the scriptures implies action.
- Don’t drop footballs. Keep your eye on the goal!
- Do what is right, no matter the consequences.
- The wise man obeys God.
- Twenties = decade of decision
- Making no decision is as bad as making the wrong decision!
- Selective obedience will crash you into the ocean.
- Be there!!!
- Get used to study! Prepare now, foo!
- Unencumber your life, so you can put God first.
- Store food, dude.
- The devil can’t make you do jack.
- Wife, family, and home are most important!
- Get tech ed! Choose an honorable vocation!
- Greatness is not only reserved for the old.
- Priesthood: a responsibility, and a gateway to blessings.
- President Monson goes off the prompter sometimes!
- In the face of temptation, remember that you carry the priesthood everywhere you go.
- Always be prepared to give a blessing!
- Keep the well filled!
- We are in the prologue to a great future, so let’s work!
- Be clean! That’s how you be a man!
- Be clean in language, though, body, dress, and even on the computer.
- The Amish are a strong, God-fearing, forgiving people. Don’t hurt kids! Forgive!
- Divorce aggravates conflicts, and is most often a sign of selfishness. Think of the children! Get counseling instead!
- Divorce was only permissible under the higher law in cases of adultery.
- To marry well, date well! Have a careful courtship!
- Marry someone committed to strive for perfection, and be that person as well.
- The gospel’s true, isn’t it? Then what else matters?
- Excuses impede our progress.
- The strength of the children begins with the parents.
- Read the scriptures!
- Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.
- You can never forget spiritual witnesses.
- The Bible is awesome! It has inspired countless people over the centuries, and is the base of our scripture. Read it!
- God is our Father. Christ lives. His atonement is the keystone of our existence. The priesthood has been restored.
- Families are forever, thanks to the temple.
- The fulness of the gospel has been restored!
- Priesthood = service.
- Don’t procrastinate. Someday almost always means never.
- Mormon doctrine is a true understanding of Christianity.
- Who’s on the Lord’s side, who? Should be you! Make it so!
- When faced with temptation, hum a hymn!
- Tithing provides solutions to temporal problems.
- Fasting and prayer unleashes greater blessings.
- Contrary to what Satan tries to make us believe, there is no point of no return when it comes to sin.
- The noblest soul is the forgiving soul. That also includes forgiving yourself.
- Become converted!
- Let this conference inspire us all to be a little better.
- Drive safely!
But perhaps the most important lesson I learned at conference:
61. Don’t wear a lighter-colored suit when you sing in the choir during priesthood session, because everybody you know will be able to pick you out.
It’s funny. During the last song of priesthood session, all I could think of was that this was the only contact I’ve had with those people from my mission that I hold most dear, and I said a silent prayer that they’d recognize and remember me. So, to the Sanchez and Nadal families, I still love you both. God bless you. Que Dios os bendiga.
Los Sanchez (& various missionaries)